Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Apple Crumble

In high school I entered an apple pie baking contest.  I placed third, out of at least 50 entries. Sadly, the recipe I used was lost. I have kicked myself for losing that recipe. It was a combination of several recipes, my own flare, brandy, and homemade caramel.

Going though my huge stack of recipies I found a new apple pie recipe. This crumble with its buttery topping and cream cheese bottom is a new favorite recipe. It may not be as good as that 3rd place pie, but it is pretty close.

Apple (Pear) Crumble
adapted from kraft desserts


* I didn't have any pears so I used 2 extra apples. But I am excited to try this recipe again with pears


Ingredients
3/4 cup crushed Nilla wafers (about 24) ** I used leftover snickerdoodles, it was wonderful
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
1 Ready to use pie crust
4 oz of cream cheese, softened
2 large baking apples, peeled sliced thinly
1 large fresh pear, peeled sliced thinly
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whipped cream (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor blend cookies, brown sugar, and butter until well blended.

Spread cream cheese onto the bottom of the pie crust, sprinkle half of the crumb mixture on top. Set aside.

Combine fruit in a large bowl. Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Toss to coat. Pour fruit mixture into pie pan. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.

Bake for 25 minutes or until brown. Cover with foil after 15 minutes if necessary. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment