Thursday, December 31, 2009

Raspberry Scones

This is my second attempt at writing this post. I had the entire post completed when my computer froze and I lost everything.

So the first recipe is completed. Raspberry Scones. It is New Year's eve and I chose to make this recipe because scones will be the perfect thing to eat after a late night. Scones are simple and you can make them in advance and freeze them until your ready to eat.

I like to make to scones, put them on a baking sheet, freeze, and then toss them into a zip-lock freezer bag for easier storage. Since they are frozen individually they won't all stick together. They will last months in the freezer. When you are ready to eat them take out as many as you like, place on a baking tray and bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. The perfect lazy-man breakfast or afternoon snack.

The recipe that I used is from Tyler Florence. However, like with most of the things I make, I can't help but change it around a little. Tyler calls for fresh blueberries, I used what I had in the freeze: Red Raspberries. I also added more sugar to my scones.

Raspberry Scones
Adapted from Tyler Florance's Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

Yield: 8 Scones 
Time : 20 min. prep/ 20 min. bake

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons sugar
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup frozen raspberries

Directions 
Put flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a food processor and blend for 5 seconds. Add the butter and mix until mixture resembles fine crumbs. While the processor is running slowly add in heavy cream. Stop when dough forms a ball. DO NOT OVERMIX!

Knead dough on a floured surface. Fold in raspberries. Try not to bruise the raspberries so they won't bleed too much into the dough. 

Roll out the dough into a 12 by 6 inch rectangle. Fold dough length-wise so you have a 12 by 3 inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half width-wise, and those halves in half again. You are left with 4 squares. Cut each square in a diagonal to make the usual triangular scone shape. Place scones on a baking tray.

At this point you can either bake the scones in a 400 degree over for 15-20 minutes. Or you can freeze them and bake them when ever you feel like it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment